Celebrating five years of marbot
Michael Wittig – 21 Oct 2021
Five years ago, Andreas and Michael Wittig released marbot - a Serverless Chatbot Competition 2016 winner project. Back in the day, marbot connected Amazon CloudWatch and Slack to spread alerts among your team members. Today, marbot configures AWS monitoring rules, receives alerts from any AWS service, and provides context to solve incidents quickly in Slack and Microsoft Teams. A big thank you to all our customers who trust marbot. Some of them have been using marbot since day one. More than 1,000 teams close 7,500+ alerts every week. Thousands of AWS accounts are monitored by marbot.
In this post, I summarize the history of marbot and provide an outlook of what is coming.
- marbot wins the Serverless Chatbot Competition 2016
- marbot is generally available
- Launch of marbot plus with a 14-day free trial
- Technical insight 1: Serverless Chatbot architecture for marbot
- Launch of alert aggregation
- marbot @ AWS re:invent
- Launch of runbooks
- Launch of AWS Marketplace integration to replace marbot plus
- marbot @ AWS re:invent
- Launch of notifications
- AWS released a competing product: AWS Chatbot
- Technical insight 3: Isolate your dependencies
- Launch of marbot for Microsoft Teams
- Over 100 AWS services are enriched with Quick Links.
- marbot has been running for more than five years
The future of marbot has always been steered by customer demand and data.
Every one or two years, we reach out to all our customers and ask for feedback. What are areas that need improvement? Are new topics popping up that we should cover? Within the following days, we will start a new survey to gather up-to-date customer feedback. All participants will get the brand new marbot t-shirt for free! Stay tuned. We will reach out to you in Slack and Microsoft Teams.
By looking at the data, we see that new customers struggle with the initial setup of marbot. First, we have to figure out why they struggle. Once we have a new theory, we can implement improvements, measure, and compare the data.
We also continue to invest in improving the coverage of AWS services. Every week, we analyze our logs to find event types that are new to marbot. We usually add support for new event types on the same day.
Thanks for your support,
Andreas & Michael
Take your AWS monitoring to a new level! Chatbot for AWS Monitoring: Configure monitoring, receive alerts, solve incidents.