Monitoring Jump Start: Lambda function
Michael Wittig – 23 Jan 2019
A Lambda function executes code. Many things can go wrong when executing your code. You can run in a timeout, out of memory, or your code can throw exceptions. That’s why you need to add monitoring to be alerted when the Lambda function is not working as expected. We created a CloudFormation template that you can use to monitor any Lambda function in a minute.
Each Lambda function system sends metrics to CloudWatch that we can observe with CloudWatch Alarms. We recommend to create alarms for the following metrics:
If a metric crosses the alarm’s threshold, you receive an alert in Slack.
- Create the CloudFormation stack with a single click
- Ensure that you selected the AWS region of your Lambda function monitoring target
- Set the EndpointId parameter to the ID of your endpoint. You can get this value by asking @marbot for it on your Slack channel.
- Set the FunctionName parameter to the name of your Lambda function.
- Review the threshold parameters
- Save by clicking the Create button.
You made it! Your Lambda function now sends alerts to marbot if things go wrong.
Take your AWS monitoring to a new level! Chatbot for AWS Monitoring: Configure monitoring, receive alerts, solve incidents.