Monitoring Jump Start: Elasticsearch domain
Michael Wittig – 30 Jan 2018
The search layer is an important component of each system that needs monitoring. Amazon Elasticsearch provides Elasticsearch as a Service. We created a CloudFormation template that you can use to monitor an Elasticsearch domain in a minute.
Each domain sends metrics to CloudWatch that we can observe with CloudWatch Alarms. We recommend to create alarms for the following metrics:
- Cluster status
If a metric crosses the alarm’s threshold, you receive an alert in Slack.
- Create the CloudFormation stack with a single click
- Ensure that you selected the AWS region of your Elasticsearch monitoring target
- Set the EndpointId parameter to the ID of your endpoint. You can get this value by asking @marbot for it on your Slack channel.
- Set the DomainName parameter to the name of your Elasticsearch domain.
- Review the threshold parameters
- Save by clicking the Create button.
This blog post is provided by marbot: AWS monitoring & alerting in Slack