The caching layer is a critical component of each system that needs monitoring. Amazon ElastiCache provides Redis and memcached as a Service. Monitoring an ElastiCache memcached cluster touches multiple parts of AWS. We created a CloudFormation template that you can use to monitor an ElastiCache memcached cluster in a minute.
Each cluster node sends metrics to CloudWatch that we can observe with CloudWatch Alarms. We recommend to create alarms for the following metrics:
If a metric crosses the alarm’s threshold, you receive an alert in Slack.
Besides metrics, ElastiCache sends out notifications if the state of the cluster has changed. E.g., because of a cache node failure.
Since AWS does not support filtering the notifications, marbot takes over filtering for you. For each new important notification, you receive an alert in Slack.
- Create the CloudFormation stack with a single click
- Ensure that you selected the AWS region of your memcached cluster monitoring target
- Set the EndpointId parameter to the ID of your endpoint. You can get this value by asking @marbot for it on your Slack channel.
- Set the CacheClusterId parameter to the ID of your ElastiCache memcached cluster.
- Review the threshold parameters
- Save by clicking the Create button.