Amazon Linux is the default operating system on AWS. As with any other OS, security patches are released as soon as a vulnerability is closed. The Amazon Linux AMI Security Center lists bulletins for security or privacy events pertaining to the Amazon Linux AMI. As soon as a new bulletin is published, you should start to patch your running EC2 instances.
With marbot, you get alerts in Slack for each new bulletin. To do so, you will use a 3rd party service called Zapier to poll the Amazon Linux AMI Security Center and send a web request to marbot in case of new bulletins.
This integration requires marbot plus
- Create a free Zapier account.
- Log in to your Zapier account.
- Click on the Make a Zap button.
- First, you have to define the Zap trigger. Search for
rssand click on RSS by Zapier.
- Select New item in Feed and click on the Save + Continue button.
- Set the Feed URL to
https://alas.aws.amazon.com/alas.rssand click on the Continue button.
- You can review your input. Click on the Fetch & Continue button.
- Zapier now verifies the trigger. You should see a Test Successful! message. Click on the Continue button.
- Now, you have to define the Zap action. Search for
webhookand click on Webhooks by Zapier
- Select POST and click on the Continue button
- Set the URL to
$endpoint-IDwith the ID of your endpoint. You can get this value by asking @marbot for it in your Slack channel.
- Set the first Data row to
Titleand select the Title field from step 1 by clicking the Insert a Field button.
- Click on the + button to add a second data row
- Set the second Data row to
Linkand select the Link field from step 1 by clicking the Insert a Field button.
- Click on the Continue button
- You can review your input. Click on the Create& Continue button.
- Zapier now verifies the action. You should see a Test Successful! message. Click on the Finish button.
- Finally, you can name your Zap. E.g.,
Amazon Linux Security Advisories to marbot
- Don’t forget to turn your Zap on.
marbot has received the latest bulletin from Zapier during the Zap test.