Integration: AWS RDS Event
You need to set up an Amazon SNS topic for this integration!
How about a shortcut? Setup monitoring for RDS with the Monitoring Setup Assistant
You can run the RDS database instance in Multi-AZ mode. Multi-AZ will use two virtual machines to host your database. If the primary goes down, AWS will failover to the secondary. But this will take up to 5 minutes. You may want to know about this event because it will cause connection errors in your applications.
- Visit https://console.aws.amazon.com/rds/home?region=us-east-1
- Click on the Event Subscriptions link on the left
- Click on the Create Event Subscription button
- Set a Name, e.g.
- Set Send notifications to
marbotor your other SNS topic name
- Set Source Type to
- Set Event Categories to
failover(you could select other events depending on your needs as well)
- The other fields can stay as they are
- Save by clicking the Create button.
I recommend to listen to the following Event Categories.
- low storage
You can simulate a failover by rebooting the RDS instance with the Reboot With Failover option enabled.
You should receive an alert in Slack: