Setup integration: AWS RDS Event
You need to setup an AWS SNS HTTPS endpoint for this integration!
I provide an easier way to setup RDS database instance monitoring. Checkout my Monitoring Jump Start!
You need an existing RDS instance (Multi-AZ enabled) for this example to work!
You can run the RDS database instance in Multi-AZ mode. Multi-AZ will use two virtual machines to host your database. If the primary goes down, AWS will failover to the secondary. But this will take up to 5 minutes. You may want to know about this event because it will cause connection errors in your applications.
Before you can start to set up RDS Events, you have to make one change to the SNS topic endpoint that is required for this integration. You have to allow RDS Events to send messages to your topic.
- Visit https://console.aws.amazon.com/sns/?region=us-east-1
- Click on the Topics link on the left
- Select the topic that you created for marbot
- Click on the Actions button, where you click on the Edit topic policy link.
- Select the Advanced view tab
If this is the first time you edit the SNS topic policy, you should see a default entry like this:
You have to add an entry to the
- Replace ARN with your SNS topic ARN that you created for marbot.
- Click on the Update policy button to save the policy.
Now, AWS is allowed to send messages to your topic.
- Visit https://console.aws.amazon.com/rds/home?region=us-east-1
- Click on the Event Subscriptions link on the left
- Click on the Create Event Subscription button
- Set a Name, e.g.
- Set Send notifications to
marbotor your other SNS topic name
- Set Source Type to
- Set Event Categories to
failover(you could select other events depending on your needs as well)
- The other fields can stay as they are
- Save by clicking the Create button.
I recommend to listen to the following Event Categories.
- low storage
You can simulate a failover by rebooting the RDS instance with the Reboot With Failover option enabled.
You should receive an alert in Slack:
Incident Management for Slack
Team up to solve incidents with marbot. Never miss a critical alert. Escalate alerts from your AWS infrastructure among your team members. Strong integrations with all parts of your AWS infrastructure: CloudWatch, Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, EC2, ...