Integration: Amazon CloudWatch Alarm
You need to set up an Amazon SNS topic for this integration!
I will show you how you can monitor your AWS bill. If your bill goes above a certain threshold, an event is sent to marbot that triggers an alert. You can not only monitor your AWS bill in CloudWatch. CloudWatch provides much more!
- Visit https://console.aws.amazon.com/cloudwatch/home?region=us-east-1
- Ensure that you are in the N. Virgina region
- Click on the Alarm link on the left
- Click on the Create Alarm button
- Click on the Total Estimated Charge metric under Billing Metrics
- Select the only line
You should now see the following screen:
- Click on the Next button on the bottom
- Set a Name and a Description for the alarm
- Set the threshold to $0 to ensure that the alarm is triggered (for test purposes only, you can change this later)
- In the actions section at the bottom, set Send notification to the SNS topic you created, e.g.
- Save by clicking the Create alarm button.
Within a minute you should receive an alert in Slack:
A CloudWatch Alarm can be in one of three states:
If a CloudWatch Alarm is in the state
INSUFFICIENT_DATA I will create a new alert for you. If a CloudWatch Alarm is in the state
OK I will search for a related alert and close it for you. An auto-closed alert will look like this:
marbot enriches the following AWS-supported namespaces with Quick Links for fast access to resources in the AWS UI.