Setup integration: Amazon CloudWatch Alarm
You need to set up an AWS SNS HTTPS endpoint for this integration!
I will show you how you can monitor your AWS bill. If your bill goes above a certain threshold, an event is sent to marbot that triggers an alert. You can not only monitor your AWS bill in CloudWatch. CloudWatch provides much more!
- Visit https://console.aws.amazon.com/sns/?region=us-east-1
- Click on the Topics link on the left
- Select the topic that you created for marbot
- Click on the Actions button, where you click on the Edit topic policy link.
- Select the Advanced view tab
If this is the first time you edit the SNS topic policy, you should see a default entry like this:
If you see the default entry, go to the next step. Otherwise, replace it with this policy:
- Replace ARN with your SNS topic ARN that you created for marbot.
- Replace ACCOUNT_ID with your AWS Account ID.
- Click on the Update policy button to save the policy.
Now, AWS is allowed to send messages to your topic.
- Visit https://console.aws.amazon.com/cloudwatch/home?region=us-east-1
- Ensure that you are in the N. Virgina region
- Click on the Alarm link on the left
- Click on the Create Alarm button
- Click on the Total Estimated Charge metric under Billing Metrics
- Select the only line
You should now see the following screen:
- Click on the Next button on the bottom
- Set a Name and a Description for the alarm
- Set the threshold to $0 to ensure that the alarm is triggered (for test purposes only, you can change this later)
- In the actions section at the bottom, set Send notification to the SNS topic you created, e.g.
- Save by clicking the Create alarm button.
Within a minute you should receive an alert in Slack:
A CloudWatch Alarm can be in one of three states:
If a CloudWatch Alarm is in the state
INSUFFICIENT_DATA I will create a new alert for you. If a CloudWatch Alarm is in the state
OK I will search for a related alert and close it for you. An auto-closed alert will look like this:
AWS monitoring & alerting in Slack
marbot takes care of your Amazon Web Services (AWS) monitoring setup. You receive and close all relevant alerts via Slack. marbot integrates with CloudWatch, Elastic Beanstalk, EC2, RDS, any many more.